As a renowned distributer of fine wallcoverings from around the world, Arthur Sanderson’s early endeavours laid the foundations for a successful future. Overwhelming demand led Sanderson to open his own Chiswick wallpaper factory, but in 1870, only three years after production began, Arthur died leaving his sons in charge. Under their leadership, staff increased from 40 to 300 and the first printing machine was joined by seven more. Technical improvements reaped their rewards and in 1902 the Chiswick factory was given a new extension, designed by the celebrated Arts and Crafts architect and designer CFA Voysey. The Voysey extension still stands, having become a Chiswick landmark. This period of success continued and in 1924, Arthur Sanderson & Sons was awarded the Royal Warrant as Purveyors of Wallpapers to the King George V. In 1928 a fire devastated the Chiswick works and consequently a new factory was built, set in 80 acres of land in Perivale. This state-of-the-art factory, which produced wallpaper until 1975 was described in the press as "the finest wallpaper mill in the world…a magnificent factory flanked by gardens and playing fields…a glimpse of a new ideal in industry."